wistfuljane: chihiro from sprited away walking toward the train station in the river (Default)
jane ([personal profile] wistfuljane) wrote2020-07-21 10:23 pm

Different English Translations of MDZS

Since I've come across at least three new English translations of MDZS so far this year, each with different translation approaches, I want to see how different their translations are. It was easier and clearer for me to see with a line-by-line comparison so for those who are similarly curious, here's a table comparison of English Translations of MDZS Chapter 1 from five different translation versions (plus a machine-translated version for reference).

Note that I haven't read all the translation versions beyond Chapter 1, but from reading experience, translation style can change while the translator is translating. I think this is the case for at least one translation version so one chapter is not indicative of the rest of the translations, and some of the translators included a post explaining their translation approaches on their sites as well (if not in the footnotes).